SwimYourSwim are pleased to announce that the unique marathon open water swimming challenge is back for 2020.
The festival of open water swimming culminates in this epic endurance swim which in reality is four marathon swims back to back. You will need to swim one mile on the hour every hour for 26 hours, adding the last 322m at the end of the final mile. This challenge can be undertaken as a Solo, as a Pair (alternating swimmers every hour) or as a team of THREE (rotating swimmers every hour).
The first mile of our epic challenge will commence at 08:00 on Saturday 20th June 2020 and the final mile must be completed by 10:00 on Sunday 21st June 2020.
Please do not underestimate the magnitude of this challenge. You must be very competent and experienced in open water swimming, night swimming, cold water management and endurance events. If you require guidance as to which category may be most suitable for you we are happy to have a chat with you in advance of applying.
Event – Outline Information
- Your aim is to complete one mile on the hour every hour for 26 hours
- A mile will require two full loops of the lake outside of the swim buoys
- All swimmers will set off together every hour on the hour; you must be in the water ready when the starting horn goes off. If you are not in the water on time you will be withdrawn from the event (not negotiable)
- There will be one controlled ingress and egress point only for all swimmers
- You can eat, drink, visit the loo, sleep, talk with friends or even funnily enough rest during rest periods but strictly no alcohol
- You may wear any swim suit or wetsuit. You may not be naked
- Swim hats are essential, ear plugs are optional but fins, hand paddles, snorkels, pull buoys and propulsive devices of any kind are not permitted
- You may swim any stroke or combination of strokes.
- Swimmers must be fully respectful of each other, encouraging to all in and out of the water
- Children must be supervised by parents at all times and kept away from the water.
- All swimmers take part knowing that they take full responsibility for their actions, have satisfied themselves of their fitness, have taken all reasonable steps to prepare for the challenge and understand that neither the organisers nor anyone connected with the event, accept responsibility for swimmer health and well-being, before, during or after the event. The organisers will however, take all reasonable risk factors into account in order to maintain a well-run and safe environment for you to undertake the event.
- Numbers in the 26.2 mile challenge are strictly limited. Swimyourswim maintain the right to limit places and refuse entry for safety and organisational reasons.
Event – Swimmers will be provided with;
- Changing rooms
- Toilet facilities & showers
- Hot drinks
- Hot water for hot water bottles
- Water safety & First aid
- Event T shirt & completion certificate
*Per Solo OR Pair OR Team we will include in your entry fee one hot drink per hour for every swimmer – separate food packages will be available to purchase from the venue.
Camping is available at the lake via pitch.com, bed and breakfast is also available at the centre, the rooms are multiple occupancy ( 6 beds per room – ideal for teams and supporters )
If you fancy the ultimate endurance swimming event in 2020 you can register by clicking on the appropriate link here –