New to open water swimming? Then our Introduction To Open Water Swimming (iTOWS) course is the one for you…
Our iTOWS courses will run between April and September, on Thursday evenings at Hatfield Outdoor Activity Centre, Doncaster. 18.30 – 20.00hrs and on Saturday afternoons at Thrybergh Country Park, Rotherham. 14.30 – 16.00hrs.
The course will be delivered by one of our qualified STA Level 2 Open Water Swimming coaches, who’s experience in open water swimming covers events that you may well be interested in, this includes –
Windermere End to End
The Great North Swim
Our personal experience of these events are a valuable insight into what you can expect on the day of your swim, or alternatively we can just provide you with the peace of mind that you have someone swimming alongside you, that knows how daunting your first open water swim can be.
We will be there to help and reassure you and make it fun.
- To introduce swimmers with no experience of Open Water swimming to the wonderful world of wild swimming
- To give swimmers the confidence to swim in Open Water
- To coach and support people who have entered swim events (or other sporting activities)
The course content is designed to be flexible enough that all levels of swimming competency and experience can be involved, either on an individual one-2-one basis or in larger groups. Course content can, therefore, be adapted to suit the needs of the swimmer(s)
- Welcome & safety briefing – lakeside
- How to put a wetsuit on
- Water entry & acclimatisation
- Sculling/Floating exercises
- Bubbles/Breathing basics
- Venue/Course understanding
- Sighting training
- Open Water swim – short course
- Stroke analysis & development
- Open Water swim – long course
- How to remove a wetsuit
- Debrief session
The course costs £30, which includes:
- Just over ½ hours classroom training – as detailed in the course content
- Up to 1 hour of coached swimming in open water
- Access to on-going iTOWS coaching from SYS team coaches during the season
N.B. The course fee does NOT include wetsuit hire. For information about wetsuit hire please see our online wetsuit hire pages here.