Following on from the hugely successful Qualifier event on Sunday ( event pics to follow ) you only have a short amount of time left to join us for the second event in our 2019 festival of open water swimming, the 12 hour marathon swim. Channel relay this year? get your team involved the transition training and team bonding will be invaluable.
Details and registration links below.
To complete this 12 hour marathon open water swimming event you will need to swim one mile on the hour every hour for twelve hours. This challenge can be undertaken as an individual or as a pair (alternating every hour).
The first mile of our epic challenge will commence at 20:00 on Friday 24th May 2019 and the final mile must be completed by 08:00 on Saturday 25th May 2019.
Please do not underestimate the magnitude of this challenge. You must be very competent and experienced in open water swimming, night swimming, cold water management and endurance events. Applications will be considered in light of your experience; if you require any guidance we are happy to have a chat with you in advance of applying.
The event will take place at Hatfield Outdoor Activity Centre in Doncaster with camping available on site via pitch.com
Event – Outline Information
- Your aim is to complete one mile on the hour every hour for 12 hours
- A mile will require two full loops of the lake outside of the swim buoys
- All swimmers will set off together every hour on the hour; you must be in the water ready when the starting horn goes off. If you are not in the water on time you will be withdrawn from the event (not negotiable). A rolling start may be adopted.
- There will be one controlled ingress and egress point only for all swimmers
- You can eat, drink, visit the loo, sleep, talk with friends or even funnily enough rest during rest periods but strictly no alcohol.
- You may wear any swim suit or wetsuit. You may not be naked
- Swim hats are essential, ear plugs are optional but fins, hand paddles, snorkels, pull buoys and propulsive devices of any kind are not permitted
- You may swim any stroke or combination of strokes.
- Swimmers must be fully respectful of each other, encouraging to all in and out of the water
- Neither glass or barbeques are permitted at the lake
- Children must be supervised by parents at all times and kept away from the water.
- All swimmers take part knowing that they take full responsibility for their actions, have satisfied themselves of their fitness, have taken all reasonable steps to prepare for the challenge and understand that neither the organisers nor anyone connected with the event, accept responsibility for swimmer health and well-being, before, during or after the event. The organisers will however, take all reasonable risk factors into account in order to maintain a well-run and safe environment for you to undertake the event.
- Numbers in the 12 hour challenge are strictly limited.
- In the event of over subscription places will be allocated by ballot
Register Here –
Event – Swimmers will be provided with;
- Changing rooms
- Toilet facilities & showers
- Hot drinks
- Hot water for hot water bottles
- Water safety & First aid
- Event T shirt & completion certificate
*Per Solo OR Pair we will include in your entry fee one hot drink per hour for every swimmer – separate food packages will be available to purchase from the venue.